Friday, April 6, 2012

Smack!


A sphere of packable snowflakes sliced the air singing a taunting song, buzzing past my ear. Phew! I dodged that one. But my thoughts were abruptly interrupted as snow stung my face and temporarily numbed my left cheek and jaw. Swoosh, SMACK! 
            
            Ouch.

            There was an excited aura in the air as the first signs of spring appeared. Sun beamed down on the sparkling snow banks turning the white fluff into a snowman’s paradise. The talk of a snowball fight rumored across campus, spreading the excitement as though it were a highly contagious disease until most everyone knew of the upcoming battle. We were to meet at the soccer field after school. And there the war would begin.

            My rubber boots scraped and squeaked as I meandered on the pathway with Kasey and Max towards the soccer field. Looking down I calculated that my rain pants and long underwear would probably be easily soaked with the heavy, melting snow. Oh well. Swoosh. Squeak. Squeak. My simple shell coat and mittens would surely be of little help, but the warmth of the sun and the spring tease was enough for my satisfaction and I trekked to the battle field with a gleaming grin and churning anticipation, for I knew I would surely soon be soaked. Oh well. Though, I was little prepared for the war that was awaiting me beyond the wire fence of the field as Kasey, Max and I confronted the fifteen figures in the distance. The boys, yes all boys, had begun constructing a fort that quickly became the very place we were trying to conquer.  

            The group was divided into two teams. Kasey and I, the only two girls, were humorously divided and we quickly took the challenge to become enemies. With determination and the flame of children in our eyes the eighteen of us packed our first snowball. The intensity rose. Scraping my blob of snow into a perfect sphere I gave the opposing team a snickering smile, and the battle began.  

            AAAHHH! We screamed as we ran towards the fort for cover from the enemy’s constant fire.  

            Swoosh! Smack! Buzz! 

            Ouch.  

            Giggles arose from our bellies and screams from our throats. We were determined, intense, and in the playful sense had no mercy. Snow splashed my face, back, hair and legs numbing my body in a temporary frozen state of wetness.  

            Smack! 

            The melting snow water trickled from my neck, chilling my spine. I turned to see Kasey gleaming with pride. Her hair had started to dread with the flying water and ice. Her cheeks now rosy showed signs of previous hits taken by a skilled throw. I grinned and laughed at her, sneakily forming a snowball in my hands.  

            Thwack! 

            Bullseye. The snow trickled down her face. With ice embedded in her hair she charged.

            WAHHHHHH!!! 

            She screamed lunging toward me. Taken off guard we toppled over into the field of snow that ranged to a depth of two or three feet, a condition not ideal for being tackled in. Scrambling to get up I threw myself at her preventing her recovery. We fell into the snow again laughing and giggling, stuffing snow into each other’s faces and fighting for the top of our two person tackle pile. Swirling snowballs buzzed through the air and targeting our faces, blinding our vision. Snow clogged my ears. I could feel the melting water seep through my rain pants and shell. Oh well. We continued this pointless endeavor of two frenemies tackling in the snow until we finally ended with a simple snowball in each of our faces.  

            Smack!

            The cold ice crystals pierced my eyes and cheeks, as I laughed the remaining snowball slid into my mouth. Mmm… A pleasant refreshment. We giggled and plotted against other members of both of our teams. Ganging up on one or two other teammates at a time the fight continued in a brawl of tackling, snow and laughs.  

            Thwack! Buzz. Smack!

            Ouch.  

            When our arms could no longer throw, and our hair was matted with snow, we hobbled across the field gleaming with childish spirit. What a battle. My long underwear was skin tight with melted water and snow clung to the fur of my boots. My thick snow gloves were no match to the heavy packing snow that seeped in through the seams of cloth and rubber. They clung to my hands and were heavy with water weight. My hair was matted and caked with snow. Knotted with water and signs of struggle from tackle it straggled down my shoulders in a nested mess. Oh well.  

            Never before had I laughed so hard. My grin gleamed from ear to ear as we walked back to Elaine house.

            Swish. Squeak.  

            We were wet.  

            Soaked.  Oh well.               

            The joy in our hearts and the enthusiasm in our voices struck a chord of happiness and completion. Never before had I been in a snowball fight. Never before had I experienced the pain of a hurling snowball, smacking my flesh and numbing my skin. Never before had I let myself embrace the moments of joy and fun. Never before had I experienced the comfort of true, genuine friendship.

            Smack!

No comments:

Post a Comment